Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Saga of the Thuja socks, part two

Through some skillful detective work, I determined that the needles used to knit  Thuja sock #1 were US 2.  So off I went to locate the US 2 DPNs, and finish up the socks.

I was able to find one. There are plenty of DPNs in my basket - size 0, 1,3,4 and up. Only the one of the set I wanted. This was a Thursday evening, so no Thuja knitting until I made it to the LYS and bought another set. In the meantime, I wanted to knit socks. Being a bandwagon-hopper, Monkey from Knitty is on my list. So it's Friday evening, I had a glass of wine and thought about what to start. Looking at my stash, it seemed appropriate to use the Lisa Souza Wild Things that I got from my secret pal. I cast on with US 1 DPNs, and started on the ribbing. So far so good.

Fast-forward to the next day. I can't figure out why the K1tbl, P1 ribbing isn't working. KUI strikes again. What seemed to be fine on Friday evening had a dropped stitch in row 1. So the knits were purls and the purls were knits, and it all got frogged. It turned out to be a good time to go to the LYS - I ran into a friend that I hadn't seen for years, didn't know she's a knitter and now have her lined up to attend the knitting guild meeting. So Thuja is back on track, with sock number one reknit to be long enough, and sock two ready to pick up gusset stitches.

I decided to wash and block the Red Scarf Project scarf, and sent it off with a Borders gift card and chocolate bar. It looked much better, a little wider, but not so different to take another picture. I finished a small shawl for my secret pal out of Mystical Creation Yarns wool/silk mix. It's very nice to knit; I used the Tie-one-on pattern from Knitty. I forgot to take a picture before I put it in the mail, so hopefully she likes it and posts a picture.

Last, but not least, I finished the twill scarf, took it off the loom and got it washed and blocked. It's amazing how much softer it is after washing! It curled significantly when I took it off the loom, let's hope the blocking helps to keep it flat. It could be an indoor or outdoor scarf - I haven't decided yet. I may also wash it one more time to see if it softens up some more.

Next up - a scarf with DH's handspun, Monkey socks and swatching for a knit jacket.

1 Comments:

Blogger silverarrowknits said...

The twill scarf is beautiful. I really like the colors.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home