Thursday, March 30, 2006

Be it ever so humble...

My knitting is determined to keep me humble. It seems obvious now, but sitting in the waiting room at the dermatologist's office I decided it was time to start decreasing for the second toe. I was a little surprised that I was that far along, but started my decreasing. I was making great progress, and was working on what else I would wear with my wonderful socks for casual Friday's, because I would certainly finish tonight. Everyone would be so impressed with my amazing socks. The wait was really long, so I finished all the toe decreases, then needed to compare with the first sock to see if I had knit another round after finishing the decreases, before grafting the toes.


"That's odd," I thought. "The pattern isn't the same!" The lightbulb went on, and I swore softly - it was a doctor's office. I had just knit a sock for a partial-foot amputee. Ripped back to the gray line which marked where the decreases started. I had time to put everything back together while sitting there, paper gown on, opening to the back, before the exam. No need to go into how thorough the skin cancer check is - even spots never exposed to the sun. I guess I'll wear regular socks tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home