Thursday, April 06, 2006

If you squint, you can see the cables



I made it through one complete repeat, plus a few rows, of the back of the cable sweater. Compared with many scarves, and a couple of socks, there are a LOT of stitches in a sweater. I had forgotten how long it takes. I did figure out how to cable without a cable needle, which is quite convenient, especially since the cable are just two stitches wide.

There is a comment in Fiona Ellis' new book,
Inspired Cable Knits, about having a project that is like an old friend. You work on it a bit at a time, every day, so that working on it is like spending time with an old and dear friend. She wrote it much more eloquently, but I don't feel like going upstairs to find the book. So that's how I'm going to handle this - an inch or two at a time, every day.

5 Comments:

Blogger NeedleTart said...

Just stopped by from the Harlot...If you use a stapler to hem pants, be sure to use a pattern. Three horizontal, three vertical, repeat. There now it looks on purpose and artful.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hi . . . I wanted to leave a commment last night, but blogger wasn't cooperating. I'm so glad I remembered to come back today. :) I love the idea/quote you wrote about. I've been working on a Sunrise Circle Jacket and am at the point where I'm burned out by it and have a hard time making myself pick it up - although I'm dying to have it done and to wear it. I think I need to view it as my old friend and spend a little time on it each day - that frame of mind already inspired me to knit a few rows this morning. Thanks for the great inspiration!!!

5:27 AM  
Blogger NeedleTart said...

I used size 0 needles with the Knitpicks yarn. However I am a very relaxed knitter. I am knitting the Jaywalker socks on size 00 and I am still way over on gauge. This works for me as I have swollen ankles most of the time.
I stopped by borders books yesterday (just to kill some time, no, really, I swear!) and they gave me 20% off a children's book just because I said I am a teacher. Some people are such enablers;-)

5:20 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

I love the cabled sweater you've started. I know you said you ordered it at WEBS, but what design is it? Is it from a book, a leaflet, a? Your stitches look great.
oh, I just saw Fiona Ellis book yesterday for the first time, in real life. It's on my want list!

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Manhattan Mirrors said...

Hello mate nice posst

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home