Saturday, October 21, 2006

Stowaway from Rhinebeck

And not an alpaca! Okay, well not technically a stowaway, but look what followed us home! And by us I don't mean me.

As we're walking around, DH mentions that he learned how to spin while he was growing up, and wouldn't mind getting into it again. The things you learn after 20 years!

I'm not one to dissuade anyone from developing a fiber obsession, especially one that nets me more yarn! So Christmas arrived early, in the form of an Ashford Kiwi and some roving. It also became necessary to buy a swift, so we now have one of those too. Time to wind the L&V yarn into a ball, and decide what to do with it. I met someone through Blogger Bingo who had made the Swallowtail Shawl with subtly variegated yarn, and while hers is gorgeous I now don't think that the L&V will work with that pattern. So, socks, anyone? Hmm, I just remembered that I didn't buy any more Size 1 DPNs, which seem to be best for the Lisa Souza. Knitpicks here I come. Okay, back from that little side journey. Stream of consciousness writing has its pitfalls.


The wheel is useless without something to spin, and we lucked out at the Wellspring Farm booth (Bldg A, lower level, right inside the door).

Ted and Elke provided lots of information about what works well for beginners, so we have some Corriedale, some Jacob's and some llama/wool mixes. Elke offered phone support for the beginner spinner, so I'm sure he'll call at some point.



I'd say I love it when a plan comes together, but this caught me completely by surprise!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Oooo! Congrats! If you want to see a picture of another husband turned spinner, for inspiration, see here: http://stlrachelknits.blogspot.com/2006/10/slackin-snarkitude.html

I couldn't go to Rhinebeck this year, but I'm looking forward to reading about it as the posts start to be published. Your's is among the first.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are worse things to come home with unexpectedly....

I can't wait to see when the second wheel arrives (so you can spin together)!

3:11 AM  
Blogger Shelby said...

Nice!! I also came home with the same stowaway! I didn't get the colored wheel one though, I went for plain. And it's still in a box so I can't play yet! ;)

4:06 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

A wheel??? You came home with a wheel??? YOU CAME HOME WITH A WHEEL!!! Good for you both! And a husband who will spin yarn for you - what could be better? Between the wheel and the loom, you've got quite a fiber factory going on over there. :)

4:28 PM  
Blogger somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Thanks for posting about Rhinebeck. I wish I could have gone. There's always next year, baby!
=:8

8:07 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

That could be a fabulous combination - a knitter/spinner couple? You're going to give ideas to knitters all over blogland!

10:55 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Awesome! I very nearly came home with the same stowaway (after sitting with it for about half an hour figuring out how to spin using a wheel), but resisted because I thought I ought at least to give E some warning of it. Turns out, he was thinking of buying me on for my upcoming birthday. So all is good!

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home