Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Yarn Guide for Inspired Cable Knits

This is the new, improved version of my guide to the yarn required for Fiona Ellis' Inspired Cable Knits. Robknits requested that I add the recommended gauge to the list, so I incorporated that change. If When I get a chance, I'll add information on the actual yardage. One of the few criticisms of this book is that the yardage required is not listed, so if the designated yarn is taken off the market, the knitter is at a loss to know how much yarn to buy.

So, mostly for myself, so I can knit from this book for years to come, I looked up all the yarn and what the yardage per skein is.


Knitting projects with yarn and yardages
Project Name Yardage per Skein Yarn Recommended Gauge (for 4 inch/10 cm square)
Joining in Friendship 120 yds / 50g Alpaca/Merino by Sweaterkits 25 sts 30 rows, over cable
Open to Change 105 m / 50g Young Touch Cotton by Estelle Designs 26 sts 31 rows over body, 25 sts 29 rows, over sleeve
Practice Makes Perfect 109 yds / 50g Wings by Classic Elite 24 sts 28 rows, over cable
Gathering Intentions 85 yds / 50g 18/24 wool by Mission 23 sts 28 rows, over cable
Wrap Yourself in Nature 131 yds / 50g Sensation by Naturally 24 sts and 26 rows, over cable
Putting Down Roots 210 yds / 100g Naturelle DK by Naturally 25 sts 28 rows, over cable
Putting Down Roots 202 yds / 100g Tussock by Naturally 25 sts 28 rows, over cable
Knots & Bark 109 yds / 100g Lett-Lopi by Alafoss 21 sts 26 rows, over ss
Inspired by Surroundings 112 yds / 50g Skye Tweed by Classic Elite Yarns 15 sts 28 rows over seed st, 24 sts 28 rows over cable
Order & Chaos 118 yds / 100g Van Dyck by Needful Yarns 14 sts 18 rows over cable
Tree-pose yoga bag 200 yds / 113g Hemp Yarn from Infiknit 24 sts 28 rows over ss
Sounds like Fun 112 m / 100g Anti-tickle Merino Wool by King Cole 26 sts 30 rows over Fair Isle, 32 sts 30 rows over cable, 30 sts 30 rows over seed st
Beachcombing 100 yds / 50g Eco Knit by Infiknit 28 sts 30 rows over cable
Potential Energy 95 m / 50g 100% silk by Estelle Designs 20 sts 28 rows over cable, 16 sts 28 rows over ss
Power Cables Unplugged 118 yds / 50g Summer Tweed by Rowan Yarns 20 sts 26 rows over cable
Ripples in Time 180yds / 50g Baby Ull by Dale of Norway 36 sts 44 rows over cable
Evolving Traditions 120 yds / 50g Alpaca/Merino by Sweaterkits 25 sts 30 rows over cable w/ 4 mm needles, 20 sts 32 rows over yoke/sleeve w/ 3.75 mm needels
Metro Retro 85 yds / 50g 18/24 wool by Mission Falls 20 sts 26 rows over knit/purl body, 27 sts 26 rows over cable
Celtic Icon 260m / 100g Soft Touch Wool/cotton by Shelridge Farms 24 sts 32 rows over ss, 28 sts 32 rows over cable
Peek-a-boo 114 yds / 50g Svale by Dale of Norway 28 sts 32 rows over cable, 25 sts 32 rows over Rev St St

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Wow, what a great list to compile - that will certainly make your life easier for years to come. And from one Geek to another - your table is fabulous!!! I'm very impressed. What did you use to build and post it? I wouldn't know where to start on something like that!!

5:44 AM  
Blogger Ya-Ya said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you for help with the sock information. I am going to get some of the socketta next time I head to Knotty Girl. I don't think AC Moore carries that as I have never seen it there. Love your blog. That table was cool!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Elizabeth - I responded to you on my blog (d'oh!) and then realized you'd be more likely to get the message if I left it on your blog. Brilliant, eh? Anyway, here's the cut-and-paste version:

Elizabeth - Yikes! It hadn't even occurred to me to worry about that. I s'pose I'll leave work (in Waltham) sometime between 4 and 5 and just go directly there. If I get a seat, I get a seat. And if not, then not. SRO is fine by me, as long as I can hear.

[p.s. Great list. I should start one myself. Perhaps sometime after I finally pull together a knitting diary with swatches and notes and pictures (with circles and arrows and a paragraph one the back of each one)]

12:47 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Yep, Alice's restaurant. I was thinking more of how geeky-intricate any knitting journal I kept would likely become . . .

6:58 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

you are too good. Must bookmark this for future reference.

3:49 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Does anyone have a photo that you can post of the Peek-a-boo sweater found on page 135 of the Inspired Cable Knits book? I have it photocopied along with the instructions, but the photo is so faint that I can barely see it and I'm afraid to start knitting without being able to see the sweater (so that I know if I'm going terribly wrong somewhere!).

Thanks so much!
Tanya

P.S. I'm not sure why this says I'm logged in as my daughter - maybe because she has a Google blog???

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home