Sunday, July 09, 2006

Some assembly required...

By the time this is all put together, I will have an intimate knowledge of every piece of this loom. According to the directions, the loom takes 4 to 8 hours to assemble. It's taken me 3 hours to get ready to assemble, not counting wait time. To start, I unpacked the three boxes and identified every piece on the list. The next step is to lightly sand, then apply the finish to the wood pieces. The loom is made from rock maple, which is a beautifully grained wood. To allow the natural patina to develop, one applies tung oil to each piece, let sit for at least 1/2 hour, then apply another coat, sit another 1/2 hour and wipe off the excess. Oh, and don't let the cloth with which the tung oil is applied sit in the house, or spontaneous combustion could occur. So much for assembling the loom over the weekend. DH brought the boxes into the house Saturday afternoon, once I returned from my stint at the thrift shop (no purchases today) and the library (time to renew the card). After several hours of unpacking, sanding, wiping, oiling, oiling and wiping, I'm finally ready to start assembling. It's now 8 PM on Sunday, and time to get ready for the week. So no assembly yet. I really do enjoy putting things together (20 years as a process/manufacturing engineer will do that to you) and am looking forward to getting the loom operational. Here are all of the pieces:














In knitting news, I finished the first Broadripple sock for my SIL. She had picked the yarn over the Memorial Day weekend - one sock pink, one sock green. With that in mind, I decided to take it one step further, and swap the toe colors as well:














Other knitting news is secret, as something is in the works for my Secret Pal. I know she's a Red Sox fan, so will try to find something appropriate. Sorry, the World Series is out of my control.

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

E-gads! I'm guessing, from looking at that picture, that the four-hour timeframe applies if you are a professional loom-assembler. ;-) Enjoy it (and remember, it's all about the process).

8:09 PM  
Blogger somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Good luck on putting that loom together! And the switched colors for the toes sounds like a neat idea.
=:8

12:48 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh my, I'm overwhelmed just THINKING about the loom assembly. My hat off to you!! I love your Broadripple with the switched toes, what a cute detail that will be!!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Quite an undertaking! It'll be worth it, though. I was visiting some family friends recently and the mother is a weaver. All the throw rugs in the house are made out of their old clothes - "I recognize that skirt I used to wear in 3rd grade" type stuff. It was fabulous.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home