Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I used to be good in math...

Warning - this post contains whining!

But first, here's the iPod cozy I knit for myself:


Gotta love that Cascade Fixation yarn that is stretchy. I didn't like the look of jamming the earbuds in with the iPod, so I made another little bag and attached it to the cord of the bigger one. This design effort was successful.






Then we move on to an amazing error. I like math, and pride myself on being pretty good with numbers. So when I decided to weave a scarf, my first non-kitchen towel type weaving effort, I was very careful with the calcuations. I measured ends per inch, and length of skein (Berrocco Chinchilla) and picks per inch and double-checked that everything would work out as planned. Then I started weaving, and things seemed to go okay.

I finally finished weaving the scarf on my rigid heddle loom. It seemed as if I had been weaving, and winding up the cloth, for quite a while. Certainly my scarf was long enough, since I had used up all of the yarn. So I cut it off the loom, tied knots in the warp for fringe, ran it through the washer and dryer (it held up nicely) and here it is. I love the purply color, and the black fringe contrasts nicely:














There's only one little problem - after all that work, the "scarf" is 18 inches long. I had calculated 60 inches. There are very few uses for this woven object, which I can't even call a scarf.

Any suggestions?

3 Comments:

Blogger silverarrowknits said...

Decorative mat on which to place antique figurines?

6:21 PM  
Blogger Reese said...

hmm... not long enough for a table runner. what about wrapped around the headrest on your car? um... decorative packaging for a gift? uh...

5:50 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

It would be long enough as a runner on my new yarn cabinet. Hint. Hint. But short of sending it to me, you could use it as a valance over a window.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home