Monday, October 30, 2006

And now we need a lamp

Weaving requires much more thought and organization than knitting, and so is harder to get going on. With knitting, there's "a little something" that can be picked up and worked on. And location doesn't really matter. With weaving, you gotta go to the loom. Please don't construe this as whining, or that I don't like weaving. It's just not that spontaneous. I've found that I don't put a lot of thought into my knitting, at least in actual preparation. I can always start over if something doesn't work out. I start over a lot.

So, last Saturday I figured out what I want to weave - pattern, yarn, length, etc and wound a warp.



This will be a scarf, in a twill pattern, with the weft being black. I used these same colors in the twill piece we wove for my class, and like the combination. I made the warp long enough for two good-sized practice pieces, both for testing for fulling and for practice.


This was all done on Saturday, with the next step being to sley the reed. That will have to wait for next Saturday, as the lighting in the living room is great for entertaining, but bad if you are trying to get yarn pieces in the correct order without skipping or doubling up in the slots of the reed. It's tricky enough with good lighting - no sense in taking chances.


While I was winding, DH was spinning. After many starts and stops and watching videos, he got this:

Very tightly spun - we'll see what happens when he plys it.










I have promised to knit it - most likely it will be a pot holder.

1 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

That's what I like about knitting - it's easy to get up and get going. One of these days I'm going to learn how to sew, but it just takes more thought and energy.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home