Sunday, April 30, 2006

CT Fiber Festival and Knitblogger Meeting

I found out about the CT Fiber Festival in the middle of this past week, and waffled about going. Mentioned it to my family, and received a less than enthusiastic response involving much eye-rolling. So, with the usual load of weekend activities, and a church variety show to prepare for (me tap-dancing, DH cooking and DD emceeing) it didn't make sense. But Karen, of Musings of a (mostly) Self-Taught Knitter blog fame, asked if I wanted to meet her there. I waffled a little more, then decided to go. I called a knitting/quilting friend, Betty, who was willing to drop everything and take off at the last minute, and we were ready. Karen and I exchanged cell phone numbers, and I was to call her once we got there. It was an easy trip, and Betty and I rolled in at about 10:40 AM. Called Karen, leaving a message describing my coat, and we started walking towards the barns. Within a couple of minutes she returned my call, and I answer to find out we're about 10 feet apart. With a few minutes for introductions, Karen's DH and Jessy of JessaLu Knits, and a visit to the facilities, we hit the yarn.
P.S. I won't mention the name of Karen's DH because that would give away the answer to her contest.
P.P.S. I would have pictures of people at the Festival except I exceeded my monthly Flickr upload allowance, and the yarn pics are more important.

These little fellas were in the first barn. I had thought alpacas would be bigger. These look like pets:


We then hit all of the yarn displays, with the first find being the most reasonably priced birch needles. I now have DPNs in sizes 0 through 8.

The yarn selection was wonderful. Absolutely. Wonderful. My Scottish blood tends to kick in at moments like this, and I have difficulty prying the money out of my own fist. The selection and prices were so good that my Scottish blood said to buy more. So I came home with a decent, but not outrageous, addition to the stash. Enough stash enhancement has occured in the last month that I must reorganize.

So we have the blue mohair hand spun and dyed in Kenya, that will become a scarf. The camera (okay, camera operator) didn't capture the depth of the color.


Then we have the Times Remembered fingering weight alpaca. The Chocolate Truffle that may become the
P-word sock, if I get up the nerve to try the pattern.

While the Blackberry Rose will most likely become my first shawl. These both had to be taken into the sunlight to appreciate their true colors.

Then there is the Silk/Rayon chenille from Rockett Studios, which will be woven with the black tencel to become a scarf. There may be some challenges in the final finishing and blocking, so it will wait until I've done some more research.

We ended the day with sock yarn, from Dorchester Farms
. I love the green/gray, but only one skein is left. So now the search is on for a gray that can be the heel, toe and possibly sole of the foot. Pity, more shopping.


We were treated to lunch by the KnitBlogger gathering, who had the foresight to bring their own. The line was long at the concession stand, so we felt quite fortunate to have quiche and fruit and baked pita crisps. Pictures of knit bloggers will be added once I can upload them.

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I have to agree, the yarn is much more interesting than me and Pea!! LOL We had so much fun meeting you and SHOPPING with you! Now I can't wait to see all the yarn get knit up . . . knowing I was there when you bought it. And hey, I didn't know you tap-dance! That's so cool.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh yeah, and I forgot to say . . . sorry about the contest. I promise you will be eligable for my next one. :)

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a good time! I'm envious.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

That sounds like a GREAT day!

6:30 AM  
Blogger Ya-Ya said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you for all the info on sock making. I will be trying that some time soon. I have a few flip flops to make since my daughter has informed me that she told a few teachers that's what mommy is making for you. (I guess I am now!) The socks in Interweave Knits magazine are so pretty. Did you see those. Do you think those would be hard?

5:16 PM  
Blogger Ya-Ya said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Nope, the sock is a pretty "lacey looking" one and comes in two ways to knit it. One is with a sport weight yarn and one is with a lighter weight. It's very feminine and pretty and of course, my kids are eyeing them. What do you think?

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home