Thursday, May 11, 2006

I can't go through with it

As much as I don't like the school colors of blue and orange, that's what they are at our local high school. So when I found some blue and orange yarn that Reese had dyed, I went ahead and bought it, without knowing what I was going to do with it. It's very pretty, with blue, orange and several shades of brown to tone down the orange. DD plays field hockey, so eventually I came up with the idea of making a field hockey stick cover, like a long skinny sock. I started at the top, with the idea of working down to where the stick widens and flattens, and increase as necessary. The method to knit the curved blade part at the bottom of the stick would come to me as I knit. So there I am, knitting a bit of ribbing for the top, then stockinette stitch for the long part.

Then, I look at what I'm knitting. It's not looking like a sock, it's looking like a willie warmer! And I have 12 more inches to go before increasing for the blade. The mental image of what this would have looked like was more than I could take. Not for knitting in public, that's for sure.

So, no more field hockey stick cover. It would have gotten all muddy anyway, so there may be a bright side. The worst part was explaining to my daughter exactly why I was not going to finish the stick cover. She recovered (stopped laughing) quickly and will be happy with fingerless gloves and a headband.

In Amazing Lace news, we did some training while watching The Amazing Race for inspiration. The team had to regroup, for while the first repeat was executed correctly, the second one got off to a rough start with a missed YO. Back to the basics, counting stitches and double-checking before going on. If this had been the real competition, valuable time would have been lost. We learned our lesson.

Lace watching TV Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

OMG that is just too funny!!! Best reason I've EVER heard for bailing on a project. And good for you doing lace training . . . I think I should try that soon too, huh?

5:39 PM  
Blogger somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

OMG... I couldn't stop giggling either. I remember how every time I try to explain to non-knitters what willie warmers are and if they are really used... Well, you can see the weird stares and looks the non-knitters give me!
=:8

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I have probably about 20 yarns in my shrug and could still use more!!!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Reese said...

haha! that's too bad about the field hockey stick cover! i really couldn't imagine knitting it up in public and people wondering, "what is that and why is it SO long!!!"

oh ryc: i think all branching out scarves get that dent in the cast on edge. it will go away when you block it.

4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home