Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Icarus, the beginning

Since Icarus will be the first lace-weight, and second lace pattern, project, I stayed with the yarn listed in the pattern, the Suri Alpaca from The Alpaca Company. I went with a different color, because I wanted something more vibrant - Purple Mountain Majesty. It's a wonderful dark purple, almost grape, color. Getting a picture of it hasn't been easy. Finally, it was nice today when I got home from work, and still sunny. On top of that the clematis bloomed - with some purple that matches the yarn pretty closely, though not in the picture.















As a comparison, here's the yarn in the direct sunlight - the white background may affect it, though I wasn't going to put it down on the driveway to find out.














Next is to start winding the yarn from the skein. How long will it take to wind up 880 yards, and will my husband be willing to hold it for that long? Yes to the second part if there's golf or poker on TV.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

That yarn looks so soft and pretty. I'm with you too - I wouldn't put it down on the driveway!! Your husband is a keeper if he's willing to hold 880 yards of yarn while you wind it!! :)

5:00 AM  
Blogger Reese said...

oh alpaca!!! i love working with laceweight alpaca. such a dream. can't wait to see it in progress.

you should make your own pvc swift! my man made one for me and it was actually quite easy to do.

5:24 AM  
Blogger silverarrowknits said...

I cannot believe the yarn looks like two completely different colors based on where you shoot the photo! The yarn looks beautiful. This is starting to inspire me to start the Icarus shawl. hmmm...

9:36 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Gorgeous yarn! And does this mean that you've moved on to your second lace project of the Amazing Lace? How'd the branching out come out? And congratulations on taking the next step! Icarus is beautiful.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home