Sunday, May 21, 2006

Flip Flop Socks

This summer's newest fashion trend, at least in my house. Finished the first pair of flip flop socks (thong socks just doesn't sound right), and they meet the approval of DD, who hasn't taken them off yet. The ribbing at the non-toe end is a little too loose, but that can be fixed. The biggest challenge with these is using the Cascade Yarns Fixation when the pattern calls for Regia Cotton Stretch. The gauge is completely different, necessitating some fiddling with the pattern. For the next pair, I'll make the ribbing wider, and cast on fewer stitches, increasing in the first non-ribbing round. I also knit with a very loose tension, to enable the sock to be as stretchy as possible.

In other knitting progress, the Trekking XXL sock is longer and the Branching Out scarf is longer, but not enough to deserve a picture. I finally made it through the 10-row repeat of the Branching Out without needing to tink back because I forgot a YO, so my lace knitting is improving a bit.

The Suri Alpaca arrived in preparation for Icarus arrived in the mail on Friday. DD saw the package, got all excited, then realized "Oh, it's yarn." It was no longer exciting, at least for her. It is so soft, and the color is all purply and wonderful, that I was quite happy. Due to the lack of consistent sun over the weekend, no picture - it just wouldn't convey the richness of the color. If I get enough work done tonight to be ready for the morning, I might knit just a bit, to see what it's like. If not enough work gets done, I will just pet it for a while.

The team for The Amazing Lace KAL is all on board, and will be introduced shortly. I'm in the process of determining the strengths and weaknesses of each team member, in order to be prepared for any circumstance. The main weakness of the knitter on the team is a lack of experience with knitting lace, so the rest of the team had better be on their (virtual) toes.

4 Comments:

Blogger silverarrowknits said...

I am all excited to see how the yarn knits up for Icarus. I got some alpaca/silk yarn from the WEBS sale. I am hoping to start it this week. I cannot believe I might be "dumping" my lace partner for Icarus.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

The socks came out really cute!!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Serendipity said...

Ohhh, those are clever flip flop socks....so pretty too!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Love the flip-flop socks. I just tried casting on for those with Cascade Fixation and soon realized that it was WAY too big. So then I ordered some Regia (the exact colors in the pattern) to knit them with. And then I surfed around and found a pattern written specifically for Fixation, so I can still use it. Yay!

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home