Sunday, September 23, 2007

Christmas Knitting

Last year I knit lots of little things for Christmas - mostly scarves and fingerless gloves. It wasn't until I found a book in my local library, Christmas Stockings - 18 Holiday Treasures to Knit, that I had an idea for this year. That was to replace our store-bought stockings with hand-knit ones. I had each family member pick out a stocking design and tell me their color preference, so I now have a knitting plan for fall. As it turns out, each stocking is in a different style, so the knitting will be interesting.
First up is DD's stocking, which will be a giant felted stockinette sock made with Noro Kureyon:
Then for DS, a Nordic-style Fair Isle stocking, black background with green design. The green is a little brighter in real life. This is my first try at stranded knitting and it's all David Reidy's fault. Based on his descriptions in his podcast, Sticks and String, I want to give it a try.

DH has requested a Gansey-style stocking in Deerfield green:

In keeping with the spirit of trying new things, I've chosen an Argyle stocking for myself. The main color is white, with green and red as the diamonds and gold and blue for the diagonal lines.

I'm torn between what to start first - and whether swatches are really needed, because these don't have to fit!

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

I keep meaning to do that . . . I vote for no swatches. Why bother?

8:17 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

It's going to be so much fun to watch you knit those all up!! And swatches for Christmas Stockings? No way! Doesn't really matter what size they turn out. :)

7:13 AM  
Blogger -R- said...

I love that Noro Kureyon! I have a knitted stocking that my mom's friend made me when I was a baby, and it is one of my favorite things, so I'm sure everyone will love the stockings you make.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home