Tuesday, May 09, 2006

And they're off!

Preparations for The Amazing Lace have begun. I started Branching Out last night, and got through the first repeat with only a few, tinkable errors. Training continued on this morning, while waiting for the school bus. Unfortunately, the picture doesn't capture how lovely the pale green bamboo yarn (Plymouth Royal Bamboo) actually is, though it does have a tendency to split. Just to show that I'm knitting "on the road".















In other news, further investigation has revealed that the rare identical twin fingerless gloves are, in fact, fraternal. It's difficult to tell from this angle, but the thumbs are distinctly different. To add insult to injury, the designated owner has declined the gloves. I've never had a rejected FO before, so don't know what to do with them.

5 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

How exciting that you've started your lace knitting!! I may start my shawl soon too. How sad that the fraternal gloves got rejected. You have my sympathy. Oh, and the Thujas . . . I think I just used my Trekking and size 2 or 3 needles (I can't remember which) and followed the pattern as written. :)

5:21 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Perhaps they could undergo a training program and be re-introduced into the wild?

4:33 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Declined the gloves?!? What are they *thinking*? I, too, have started my Amazing Lace project, and am REALLY curious/trepidatious to see what the challenges will be.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Love those tiger gloves! When I made the tiger hat, I couldn't stand the idea of knitting such a small gauge, that's why I did the 2 strands together. I had the dickens of the time matching them up, though. In the end, it matches some places and not others, and I thought it turned out cute that way.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

In response to your knitting needle question -- the steps were as follows:

(1) cut dowels
(2) sharpen dowels
(3) sand dowels with progressively finer sandpaper
(4) rub mineral oil on dowels
(5) make ends for dowels
(6) bake ends (on dowels, hanging over edge of cookie sheet)
(7) after cooling, glue ends to dowels

We probably should have left step (4) for last -- even if only so that I didn't have to sit and watch the oven the entire time the ends were baking, fearing that the oiled dowels were going to burst into flame at any moment.

Hope this helps -- I look forward to the upcoming friendly competition of the Amazing Lace!

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home