Friday, May 05, 2006

Secret Pal 8 Questionnaire, Answered

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? Favorite yarns - Variegated, self-striping yarns – the element of surprise in how the yarn will look when it is knit up. Bright spring/summer colors. Ladder yarns. My current love is a pale green bamboo.
Dislikes - I don’t like the feathery fluffy novelty yarns.


2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? A long narrow basket.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I learned how to knit when I was nine. My mother taught both my brother and me, several times before it stuck. That was a long time ago. Bell bottom pants were in style for the first time. Despite all that, I'm an intermediate knitter.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? I have a personal wish list, not a knitting wish list. I will have one soon!

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Lavender.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Chocolate – dark, rich not-to-sweet chocolate. Dove is good.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? Weaving – I’m a beginner. I’ll be going to weaving camp for one week this summer. I sew if I have to. Decorative painting and gardening.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I'm stuck in the 80’s – Alternative Music: Roxy Music, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark, Depeche Mode, Erasure.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? Green and spring colors. Rust and orange wash me out, so I stay away from them.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? One husband, two teenage children (daughter and son) and 2 small dogs – Welsh Terrier and West Highland White Terrier.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Scarves all the time – lightweight in summer, heavier in winter, and hats and mittens in the winter. I spend most of my work day at the computer or in meetings, so I like to wear at least one thing that is hand-made.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Scarves – for myself to wear to work, and socks. Toys are up there also (Mr. Stegs is still in process)

13. What are you knitting right now? Cotton cable sweater for myself, fingerless gloves for my son and a field hockey stick cover for my daughter. And Mr and Mrs Stegs, and little baby stegs.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I prefer wood and aluminum, but have no preference as to straight or circular – whatever works best with the project and yarn type. Yarn has a tendency to fall off my needles, so I should probably use circulars more often. I knit socks on DPNs.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? I have a yarn winder.

17. How did you learn to knit? My mother taught me to knit English style. I’d like to learn continental, though haven’t tried it yet.

18. How old is your oldest UFO? My son’s baby blanket – just discovered after we moved. He’s 12 ½. It’s acrylic. It’s at the bottom of the lowest stash storage bin, though I did take the needles out. It will always be an unfinished object, because it would be too much work to frog.

19. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas, even though I whine about all the work. This year I’m going to make as many presents as possible. Scarves, wine bottle holders (with wine), and we’ll see what else I can come up with.

20. Is there anything that you collect? Aside from yarn, and scarves, not really. I don’t like clutter. We do have some framed posters and prints from places where we’ve traveled. If it's hung on the wall it's not clutter.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? No knitting magazine subscriptions -
Knitting Nature by Norah Gaughan looks interesting. As far as yarn, I saw/bought some alpaca at a fiber festival, and would like more of that.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Two (or more) color knitting. Aside from stripes (both horizontal and vertical) I haven’t done much with either Fair Isle style or intarsia. I’m also interested in dyeing my own yarn – something self-striping would be fun.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Yes to sock knitting. I usually wear a size 9 woman's shoe, my foot is 9.5 inches long, 9 inches around the foot and 8.5 inches around the ankle.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) Jan 23

2 Comments:

Blogger somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Welcome to the Blogging world and to SP! I read about your site from Karen, so please don't yell at her.
I look forward to reading more about your work!
=:8
http://www.somebunnyslove.com

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great list!!! Thanks for the info!!!

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home