Saturday, May 06, 2006

A Trekking we will go...

I attended my first Knitting Guild meeting last night, and while there, found this:














The oft-mentioned, but never before glimpsed by me, Trekking XXL. These colors are fabulous, so I succumbed and bought a skein. Now, which sock pattern to use? My brain has completely failed me, and cannot remember what patterns have been used with this yarn? I've seen it mentioned so often that I can't remember anything specific. Is it so perfect that a stockinette stitch sock is the best way to show it off? Or Conwy, can I use it to knit that pattern? I DON'T KNOW!!!

So, please add your comments as to the best way to show off this wonderful yarn. There are no prizes, but the person whose idea I select will have my heartfelt thanks, and credit for a really awesome pair of socks. My apologies to the sock yarn that I bought last weekend, and loved for a whole week. I still love you, we will have many wonderful years together. This is just something I have to get out of my system.

In Knitting Guild news, there were two parts to the meeting (three if you count the snacks - homemade madeleines and flan - both delicious). The first was a presentation by a woman from Guideposts on their
Knit for Kids program. I had never heard of this, yet it's been in existence for 10 years. 320,000 sweaters have been knit, collected and distributed to need children all over the globe. That's 2,667 sweaters a month, or 87 sweaters a day, for ten years. It's mind-boggling. Just knit a sweater from the patterns on the web-site (crochet, too) and get it to Guideposts, and they'll make sure it gets to where its needed. There's one more item for the "To Be Knit" list. And my DD has said that she'll knit one also. If you decide to help out, remember that they could use sweaters up to size 14, and that the bigger sizes are the more needed.

The second part of the meeting focused on learning how to knit the "Wind Chime Scarf". It involves short rows, wraps and turns, and I learned how to knit backwards. Or purl backwards, to be precise. When done, the scarf twists around like a corkscrew. I only brought one skein of yarn with me, which wouldn't be enough for the scarf, so had to buy the yarn for the scarf (Plymouth Encore Colorspun - you know, this would be good for the "Knits for Kids" sweater).


I've worked the pattern repeat four times, and feel certain that I'll remember how to knit this when the weather turns cooler. This is Amazing Lace summer, so the scarf will have to wait.

I'll admit it, I don't have a subscription to Interweave Knits, and haven't missed it until now. Then,
Ya-ya mentioned the lacy socks, and I haven't been able to get a look at them (lacy and socks - that's what this summer is all about). I stopped in at Borders, and they had every knitting magazine EXCEPT IK. I know, the summer issue may not be available in stores. Then, I saw this shawl (my subscription card will be in the mail):

I don't know how complicated the pattern is. I've never knit lace. I will knit
Branching Out with my green bamboo yarn first.

I see this in Midnight Blue. On me. My hair will double in thickness and length, and look attractively wispy in it's messy bun.

It could happen.



2 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Your guild meeting sounded wonderful - if you were closer to me I would certainly look into membership! I've used Trekking XXL and LOVED it - my favorite yarn so far. The pattern I chose was Thuja from Knitty, which maybe was a bad choice because it's nothing like the yarn called for in the pattern. But I just kind of fudged it - I thought they would be too small, but the yarn is so stretchy they ended up fitting fine. It took me a long time to cave and subscribe to IK, but I haven't regretted it yet!! I love that shawl - I was looking at it on the preview page too. It's so delicate and pretty . . . but I'm afraid it's too hard for me. I bet you can do it, though!!

3:58 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I'm so happy you're all about the lace! And IK is the best. I was looking for it the other day in stores, and it doesn't seem to be out anywhere yet.

Soon, though. As for the Trekking, I have one skein. Haven't knit it yet, so I'm not that helpful.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home