Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Blast from the Past

Wendy of Wendy Knits mentioned this vest in her most recent post (April 20, 2007)! I had to dig it out to show what I was working on over 20 years ago! What's changed since then? I wouldn't even attempt something like this - too much of a commitment.
The pattern is by Perry Ellis and was published in the Spring/Summer 1985 issue of Vogue Knitting. I remember that it took me a while to find the yarn. I worked on it all summer, and finished just in time to wear to work for Halloween 1985. In those days I lived by myself, and had considerably more free time than I do now.

I did a terrible job of weaving in the ends - if you look at it up close there are lots of holes. There also appears to be a gauge problem - it's wider than it's supposed to be. Still, people were very impressed that I had made it, and I'm finding it hard to believe. The young have no fear!

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

WOW - that is quite a comittment! I'm glad you still have it.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the photos -- what a blast from the past!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Wow!! You know, it would still work well as a great Halloween costume - even all these years later. That's some smart knitting!

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home